HOLLYWOOD, Calif. – Grindhouse Releasing is proud to announce its long-awaited special edition Blu-ray release of Umberto Lenzi’s THE TOUGH ONES (ROMA A MANO ARMATA). The deluxe 3-disc set arrives in stores on July 9, 2019.
Lenzi, the legendary director of CANNIBAL FEROX, kicked off the Italian police film craze with this hyper-kinetic, ultra-violent, brain-blasting action thriller. Maurizio Meril stars as an Italian DIRTY HARRY, punching and shooting his way through the sleazy drug, sex and crime infested cesspool of mid-’70s Rome, on the trail of a sadistic, machine gun-toting hunchback, played by Tomas Milian (star of THE BIG GUNDOWN).
Hailed as “one of the most gonzo, over-the-top Euro crime films you’ll ever see” (American Cinematheque), THE TOUGH ONES has been one of Grindhouse Releasing’s most requested titles for many years. Company founder Sage Stallone originally acquired the film during a trip to Italy in 1996.
“THE TOUGH ONES was a very favorite of my late partner Sage Stallone,” says Grindhouse Releasing co-founder Bob Murawski, the Academy Award-winning film editor of THE HURT LOCKER, Sam Rami’s SPIDER-MAN 1, 2, & 3, and Orson Welles’ THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND. “Sage absolutely loved this movie and wanted everyone to see it. Our friend Umberto Lenzi was extremely proud of this film and was overjoyed when he heard that we had acquired it. As was Tomas Milian. I’m sorry they are not here to see this deluxe edition release.”
Boasting a state-of-the-art 4K transfer of Lenzi‘s uncensored director’s cut, the new Grindhouse Releasing edition of THE TOUGH ONES includes an incredible slate of special features:
– Original UNRATED, UNCENSORED director’s cut
– Mastered in eye-popping 4K resolution for maximum detail and impact
– Optional Italian language soundtrack with optional English subtitles
– Audio commentary by Mike Malloy, director of EUROCRIME!
– Brand new, in-depth interviews with director Umberto Lenzi, actors Tomas Milian, Maria Rosaria Omaggio, Sandra Cardini, Maria Rosaria Riuzzi and Corrado Solari, screenwriter Dardano Sacchetti, and composer Franco Micalizzi
– Special tribute to Marizo Merli with appearances by Enzo Castellari and Ruggero Deodato
– Vintage VHS intro by cult movie superstar Sybil Danning!
– Original international theatrical trailer
– Liner notes by Italian crime film expert Roberto Curti
– Deluxe embossed slip cover
– BONUS CD – original soundtrack album by Franco Micalizzi – newly remastered in stunning 24 bit/192khz sound from the original master tapes
-AND OTHER SURPRISES!
Custom 30-Caliber Metal Bullet Pen – Strictly Limited to 2500 Units!
“One of the most gonzo, over-the-top Euro crime films you’ll ever see.”
– American Cinematheque
“Containing little idealism and much violence for the sake of violence…director Umberto Lenzi keeps his action, cast and cameras moving along at a fast clip.”
“The quintessential ‘Polizieschi’ movie. It has all the ingredients necessary – Alfa Romeo cars, stereotypical bad guys, angry ‘beat the system’ cops and lashings of over the top violence.”
– Jonny Redman, LoveLockandLoad
“OUTSTANDING…Maurizio Merli is Inspector Tanzi, a mega-mustached cop who’s forced to square off with Tomas Milian, a psychotic cripple appropriately nicknamed The Hunchback. Along the way, there’s plenty of innocents getting mowed down with machine guns, low-level criminals having their faces beaten in, incredibly energetic car chases, and so much more – all set to a wonderful score by Franco Micalizzi. A giant hit in its native Italy, it’s a wild slice of Eurotrash, showcasing Lenzi at his best, and a perfect starting place for the genre if you’re unfamiliar. You simply can’t go wrong!”
– Bruce Holecheck, Cinema Arcana
For press and theatrical bookings, contact [email protected]